Ira H. Bryant IV wrote:
On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 22:09:29 -0800
Godfrey DiGiorgi <gdigio...@gmail.com> wrote:

I've regularly scanned B&W film negatives (scanned using VueScan and a
Nikon LS-40 film scanner) and brought them into LR.

My scan files are either TIFFs or TIFF encapsulated DNG files. I let
Vuescan do the appropriate negative-positive inversion. E.G.:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2623/4229858409_9966c3c74b_o.jpg
Contax Tix + Kodak Advantix B&W

Vuescan is what I used, but I just got it and am not really familiar with it
yet. How do you get it to do the inversion when saving to a TIFF? I went
through the manual and tried to find a setting for it, but I couldn't figure it
out.  The previews show positives, but the final scans were negatives. I
thought that maybe since it was a raw output that Vuescan wouldn't change it.
That's atrange. I scan B&W negatives to from time to time, using TIFF as output format, and they show up as positive both in the preview and output. I select "B&W Negative" for the input format and 8-bit or 16-bit grayscale file format (in the "Output" tab.) Are you sure you've tried straight TIFF output, as opposed to DNG/raw? Which I've never tried, but I'm assuming it means there is no inversion or other processing.

Note that I do see weird inconsistencies between the preview and "scan" view within Vuescan itself from time to time, though. These tend to go away if I try again...

- Toralf
Thank you for your help.

Ira