From: Rob Studdert
On 04/01/2010, John Sessoms <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Should I use Assign or Convert?
> Should I assign/convert to SRGB before or after editing my images?

"Assign" just tags the pre-existing file with the alternate colour
space tag, "convert" converts the file to the new colour space. Assign
would generally only be used in the case that the file somehow has
inherited the incorrect colour space or alternately to impose an
incorrect colour space for effect.

I follow you part of the way. I understand what you're telling me they do.

For the last book, IIRC, both images were put into the SRGB color space when the JPEGS were generated. One worked and one didn't.

I don't remember whether I assigned or converted one or both. I worked them sequentially, completing one and sending it, then completed the other. The copy I have here is SRGB (exif:ColorSpace: 1).

When I print the image through a competently controlled mini-lab it matches what I see on the screen with no further manipulation required.

For my purpose, I want to ensure the image printed in the book looks like what I think the image should look like when I see it on my screen (and yes, the screen is calibrated).

Which choice, assign or convert is going to give me what I want? Or does it matter?

And does it matter at what point in the work-flow I put the image into SRGB color space?