On 05/01/2010, John Sessoms <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com> wrote:

> I follow you part of the way. I understand what you're telling me they do.
>
> For the last book, IIRC, both images were put into the SRGB color space when
> the JPEGS were generated. One worked and one didn't.
>
> I don't remember whether I assigned or converted one or both. I worked them
> sequentially, completing one and sending it, then completed the other. The
> copy I have here is SRGB (exif:ColorSpace: 1).
>
> When I print the image through a competently controlled mini-lab it matches
> what I see on the screen with no further manipulation required.
>
> For my purpose, I want to ensure the image printed in the book looks like
> what I think the image should look like when I see it on my screen (and yes,
> the screen is calibrated).
>
> Which choice, assign or convert is going to give me what I want? Or does it
> matter?
>
> And does it matter at what point in the work-flow I put the image into SRGB
> color space?

In the case of your work flow the source images are of limited colour
gamut (AdobeRGB) but you employ a wide gamut colour space as your
working colour space so you need to be sure to "convert" your images
back to the requisite output colour space. Generally you would do this
as one of the last steps in your edit work-flow, possibly only
preceding image bit depth reduction.

In the case of images with a reduced gamut the "Relative Colorimetric"
rendering intent should provide a good quality output to sRGB, however
if you imported RAW images in ProPhoto colour space the "Perceptual"
rendering intent would likely provide better results when converting
images containing a wide colour gamut to sRGB colour space.

Cheers,

--
Rob Studdert (Digital  Image Studio)
Tel: +61-418-166-870 UTC +10 Hours