I've had the pleasure of thinking about digital archiving at work. I work at
a Neurophysiology dept at a hospital and we produce a lot of digital data
and one of our great problems is how to properly archive every test we
perform. The outcome of our intensive thinking :) would be Magneto-optical
disks.
They are really reliable, we have disks nearly ten years old that works like
a charm. They can be stored 50 years, or so they say. The disks are
protected by a plastic case and they come in both 5 1/4" (5.2Gb) and 3 1/2"
(1.3Gb). Of course not everyone has a reader, but I'm talking about
archiving for your own purposes.
The 3 1/2" drives are coming down in price. I think you could find a reader
(USB) for US$300-350 today. Of course the disks are a bit on the expensive
side (20-25$) but hey, you get what you pay for :)

Just a thought.
Petter Jarbo
(Delurking in progress...)