PA> I would agree with TIFF as a format if it weren't so loosely followed.  You can
PA> never be sure if a TIFF saved by one application will be readable by
PA> another, in
PA> my experience.

The best format for future readability would be plain bitmap, without any compression
(or
just some easy RLE compression). Easiest to just write a reader for. I
don't necessarily mean BMP format, any bitmap format without header
will do. If I was _really_ concerned over reading the data after 50
years, I would put the file format definition on every disc, maybe
even file a printed definition of the CD format (red book,..) in the
 safebox along with the actual discs. But I am not NASA, so I don't.
 ;-)

Some other weak points of CDs:

be very careful about writing on the surface, as the actual data layer
is IMMEDIATELY below the writing surface, unprotected by ANY plastic
layer. Try it on a dead CD-R - just scratch the paint, and you
discover the reflective metal layer peels away too!

don't get them wet, some cd-rs were reported to delaminate when
immersed in water

Good light,
   Frantisek Vlcek