2010/1/17 P. J. Alling <webstertwenty...@gmail.com>:

> Since we don't know if we can stop it, how would we know if what we do
> prolongs the existence of that generation or shortens it?  I know that rich
> societies have more resources to expend on survival, than poor ones.
>  Anything that makes us poorer as a society is suspect from the start.

hope my last comment didn't offend you... I'll try to remain civil but
I cannot guarantee I won't get explanations and expletives mixed up.

First of all, money won't buy you back algae and plancton which are
both crucial to the marine food chain and to reasonably constant
atmospheric oxygen levels. They will go when the oceans absorb enough
CO2 / carbonic acid to make the ocans so acidic that the water will
eat away their exoskeletons.

Also, worst case scenarios where the greenland ice melts away
completely assume sea levels rising by 100 ft. or more which would
reduce the land surface of the earth by roughly 40%.

Now think of how miserably N'awlins got flooded by Katrina and ask
yourself how in the hell you'd be able to deal with the above let
alone pay for it - plus the dams would have to be gianormous, you'd
have nice mounds of earth with the odd skyscraper sticking out and
needing constant repair from the onslaught of the tides.

Next, think of the amounts of chemicals on those 40% of the land mass
being flooded, ask yourself if and where they could be moved to no
longer constitute a massive environmental hazard, and once you realize
it won't be that easy, ask yourself if you'd want them in what's left
of your food chain.

Remember, money can only buy you what is there. And it is not
technology you will run out of but food and fertile soil, plus ask
yourself who in their right mind would part with their resources for
useless foreign currency if it meant certain starvation or death by
pollution - think back for a second to Agent Orange if you need a
reminder of the effects.

If you then consider that 18% of all greenhouse gas output comes from
meat/milk/etc. production, that will be a rare luxury at a huge
premium. Just an example of the huge inconveniences wherever you look.
Why not chooses smaller inconveniences now offer a system possibly
spiraling of of stability so fast you won't have time to respond.

Anyway, the world will be such a cozy place that the selfish will have
to wage war to get the territories and resources they need. Noone will
share with them of their own free will because it was them who got the
rest into that f***ing mess in the first place.

Quagmire accomplished, now let's move on and buy back the hummer brand
from them yellow folk so we have a use for the SUV juice we get from
them towel wearers.

So, does all that make your society richer? No, it is just a sad
reflection on ... well, you choose... amd I certainly won't find
comfort in knowing some people will have noone else to blame but
themselves...

OK now I know I sound like Sarah Connor in T2 but then it is late and
I don't have the energy nor anger for more. Not at this hour.