On 1/17/2010 4:54 PM, Graydon wrote:
On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 08:43:53PM +0100, eckinator scripsit:
2010/1/17 paul stenquist<pnstenqu...@comcast.net>:
Real? It's not real until it happens.  But I'm ready, I have my
millennium shelter fully stocked. Oh wait, that was the last
doomsday scenario. That was "real" as well.
naah the millennium bug was as real as the majority votes for dubya's
presidencies.
The Millenium bug -- a whole bunch of code that assumed it wouldn't be
running in 2000 -- was real; it just got (mostly) fixed in time.  There
were a number -- but not a really big number -- of things like embedded
controllers that really did start acting weird, but the majority of
systems were patched or replaced in time.

Look at the 2010 bug they just had in Germany when someone made a
similar mistake abut date handling and millions of people suddenly
stopped having working bank cards.

So far as the whole anthropogenic climate change thing goes, one might
want to take a photographic perspective on the question and look at the
old and new shots of Glacier National Park.
<http://www.livescience.com/php/multimedia/imagegallery/igviewer.php?imgid=626&gid=42&index=0>

-- Graydon

So can we stop it? More importantly does it make sense to even try? I've never seen an analysis of either of those questions that didn't depend on unicorn dust...

--
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Courier
New;}}