Update:
No, I haven't taken it into the shop yet, but for S&Gs , I decided to put it on the camera this morning to see what it would do. It took a few seconds, and then it SLOWLY moved the focus a bit and then stopped. I could hear the little motor trying to do something (quiet little clicks and whirs coming from inside the lens), and then it stopped again. I don't start work at the salt mine until 11:30 tomorrow, so I'll send it off then.

William Robb