On Jan 23, 2010, at 6:20 PM, Joseph Tainter wrote:

> Sorry to hear about the SDM failure, but not surprised.
>
> FWIW--
>
> --I am on my third K20D.
>
> --I am on my third DA* 50-135 F2.8.
>
> --I will soon be on my third DA* 16-50 F2.8.
>
> Only one of these was an SDM failure (DA* 50-135 number 2).
>
> In the space of one year, problematic Pentax gear has cost me images taken in
> Italy, China, and Sweden.
>
> According to Pentax USA these problems are just internet hysteria.
>
> According to the gang at dpreview, these problems do not exist and one is not
> allowed to discuss them in any event.
>
> I am starting to think about Nikon. It will depend on whether Pentax can send
> me a DA* 16-50 that is not optically misaligned.

Amazing. How much do you shoot? I shot 30,000 frames with my K20D -- no
problems. My first 16-50 was misaligned but was replaced by B&H within days.
The second one has at least 10,000 frames on it, no problems. My DA* 50-135 and
60-250 each have three to five K frames on them with no problems. Oh, and my
two *istDs and my K10D were trouble free. And I work all my gear hard.
Paul