On 2010-02-11 10:20 , Bran Everseeking wrote:
I am often surprised to see ads on other peoples' computers.
flashblock is another good toy.  gives you the choice of looking at
flash instead of having a page that consists of 20 flash ads and a
flash player bogging things down.

i generally tune out static ads so well that i'm surprised when they catch the attention of someone looking at the same page; i use RSS a lot too, which avoids ads for the majority of blogs unless or until i load specific articles; it also avoids that interminable loading of the last 6 months of images that some photo blogs (not Frank's) do by default

active ads i handle with ClickToFlash in Safari, a very simple and effective tool that makes viewing Flash an elective process and also facilitates access to H.264 rather than Flash versions of YouTube content

<http://rentzsch.github.com/clicktoflash/>

sometimes i turn off JavaScript temporarily too, because with 60 tabs open in my browser, i don't always want to have to hunt for the page that is soaking up CPU cycles (and draining my battery)