On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 18:07:43 -0500, you wrote:

>Fred wrote:
>How is the bokeh with that Vivitar S-1 135/2.3 ?

People forget that bokeh is heavily influenced by the aperture used,
the subject distance compared to the background distance, and the
background subject matter.

At f2.3 is not "sharp" in the sense of a 100mm macro at f8, but it is
not "soft" in the sense of a 50/1.2 wide open. Nor is the bokeh as
smooth as a 300/2.8 wide open focused on a close subject with a
distant background. I may get out tomorrow and shoot a roll
specifically to develop a better opinion of this lens' bokeh, color
rendition, flare resistance, contrast, and "sharpness."

I'd say the Vivitar 135/2.3 has no glaring faults, and would please
anyone who wanted a very good 135mm manual focus lens, especially if
they were lucky enough to find the later K-mount version.

We've left out the Pentax F 135/2.8 in these discussions. I remember
one list member was very impressed with that lens. And with today's
better ISO 400 and 800 films, f2.8 is often plenty fast enough.

--
John Mustarde
www.photolin.com