A postscript to the " My New Computer Sucks" thread....

To recap:  I replaced my old Windows XP computer with a new all singing,
all dancing, Windows 7 machine.  First: my widescreen monitor wouldn't
work (resolved by my friendly computer store manager, Dave, by
connecting with a DVI cable) and second: I was unable to get the new
system to recognise any USB mass storage device, unless it was plugged
in via an (unpowered) USB hub.

So.....

I packed up the beast this morning and headed back to the computer shop.
 "What seems to be the problem now?", said Dave (with a little too much
emphasis on 'now', I thought).

"The USB ports on this bloody thing won't recognise any mass storage
device", I replied confidently.

"Oh, yes? Let's take a look then, shall we?", he said with a faint
smile.  He'd obviously had lots of experience dealing with technically
incompetent customers.

Dave plugged it in, connected a monitor and waited while it booted up.
"OK", he said, "Let's see what happens with my usb flash drive."

"Windows is installing drivers for your new hardware" was the message
from the operating system.  Slight pause.  "Your device is now installed
and ready to use"....

"Er, ah, em, but, but....", I stammered.  "It didn't work at home.
Here, try one of my USB drives...."

"Windows is installing drivers for your new hardware" was the message
from the operating system.  Slight pause.  "Your device is now installed
and ready to use"....

By this time the other staff members had gathered around to witness yet
another incompetent reduced to a gibbering wreck.

But then! A straw came into view and I clutched at it!  "At home", I
said, "I have a 4-port USB hub plugged into one of the system USB ports.
 Could this cause some sort of conflict with the other ports?"

"Wellllll ...., it shouldn't".  said Dave reflectively.  "But I suppose
it's possible"  (as in "anything to get this technically challenged
dickhead out of my shop....")

At this, I packed up the beast again with what little remaining
credibility I had and made a hasty exit.  I thought I heard some muffled
sniggering as I left, but I could have been mistaken....

Home again, I reconnected the computer without the USB hub and, with
both sets of fingers and toes crossed, plugged in a thumb drive .

"Windows is installing drivers for your new hardware" was the message
from the operating system.  Slight pause.  "Your device is now installed
and ready to use"....

Woohoo!!

OK.  I have no explanation as to why the USB hub caused all of the other
USB ports to malfunction, but I don't care!.  I don't need the hub, the
system is now working and ..... my computer no longer sucks!!

Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters
Western Sydney Australia