On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 9:17 PM, paul stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2010, at 8:53 PM, Rob Studdert wrote:
>
>> On 26/02/2010, paul stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> You tell it like you see it. That's not necessarily 'like it is," so
>>> frequently a little balance is called for. But that's okay.
>>
>> The K-x has the best low light capabilities of any Pentax camera to
>> date,
>
> I agree. That doesn't necessarily make it the best option. Far from it.

Actually, the K-x currently has the best high ISO performance of any
APS-C or smaller sensor camera. It's not that far behind the D700
either (less DR, similar performance at 3200, not much more noise at
6400, the D700's visibly better at 12,800 though and has 25,600). If
you don't want to haul a brick, nothing can beat the K-x for low-light
performance.

>> it's not just me, there's a chorus of very satisfied Pentax K-x
>> owners, many of which also own the K7 as a point of comparison. I'm
>> sure that the K7 suites your needs, you've said it yourself many times
>> but that doesn't mean that it's the best option.
>
> It does for me. And my evaluation is personal, just like yours.
>

>>> I don't like multipoint autofocus either, but I do want to be able to
>>> choose the single point that I use. I'm not willling to go back to point
>>> and shoot style autofocus. One point in the center is in the wrong place
>>> 90% of the time.
>>
>> I'm not sure what the big deal is here, the K-x has no AF position
>> indicators in the finder, you can still select the AF position as it's
>> indicated on the rear panel instead.
>
> But you can't locate it in the viewfinder. It's hit and miss.

You get the AF frame outline, and the point's location in the frame is
shown on the rear display. I was surprised but I don't much miss the
point display, somewhat the opposite in fact. It's not hit and  miss
after the first 5 minutes (and it's not like the AF point display in
the viewfinder is always accurate either, it's an approximation).

>> There is 5 or 11 point auto AF,
>> centre point AF or manual selection of 1 of the 11 AF points. Plus the
>> AF is faster than the K20D and anecdotal reports that it's at least as
>> fast as the K7.
>
> The K7 autofocus is far faster than the K20D. I would be surprised if the Kx
> could match it.

K-x seems to have similar performance on the software side but a less
powerful motor.

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca