Adobe Reader does a lot more than just read PDFs. It's essentially an
interactive PDF multimedia viewer, capable of handling the full range
of features that PDF file are capable of doing which includes being
able to contain music, show video, etc. For instance, none of the
other PDF viewers on the market can work with LensWork Extended, which
includes photographs, audio and video. Such files constitute a
full-featured application contained as PDF data.

For just reading (and printing) PDFs, I use Mac OS X's native Preview
application. No cost as it comes with the OS, its very fast, very high
fidelity rendering ... and includes a lot of other features besides,
like image format translation, cropping, editing, and even image
adjustment.

I have no beefs with Adobe. Their software installs easily, quickly,
and works very well. They support it when I call with a question. I
bank my living on it.
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com