I've had many flashes over the years. The AF540 is definitely among my
favorites. I've never used it in manual mode. Since I can dial in over and
under exposure comp on the flash, I see no need to use it manually. Don't know
if it's capable of that or not. But my two AF 540s are definitely reliable and
powerful units. Used a Sigma 530 Super for a while. Now that was the flash from
hell.
Paul