----- Original Message ----- From: "P N Stenquist" <pnstenqu...@comcast.net>
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2010 8:27 AM
Subject: Re: Useful resource: Pentax P-TTL flash comparison

On Mar 13, 2010, at 8:44 AM, Adam Maas wrote:

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 8:18 AM, Tanya Love <tanyal...@bigpond.com> wrote:
I TOTALLY agree! And this is why there are so many "pros" floating around
places like Facebook who boast the following:

"I am an available light photographer, who conveniently comes to you or your
chosen location..."

Translated to meaning - "I am a mum who bought myself a camera and can take ok photos and add a vignette or two in PS Elements. Have no idea how to use flash, and can't afford to buy the stuff anyways, and can't afford a studio
either".

I have a real bee in my bonnet about this new "breed", don't get me started!

t.x.

Well, there are those of us who know how to use a strobe, can get
quite good results with one and still loathe the things.

I'm one of those.

I've got a nice little collection of speedlights and strobes and will
use them if absolutely necessary, but if I can get the shot without
them I will.

I tend to agree for the most part. But there are times when I can "get a shot" without a strobe but realize I can get a better shot by adding some flash. For example, when shooting kids on the playground with high light or backlight, a little flash fill and high-speed synch plusses the photography considerably. Yes, reflectors would be just as good or better, but have you ever tried to keep up with a pack of playing kids while holding a reflector?

I'm very fond of strobes both in the studio and on location for what they can bring to my photography.
Paul

I'm with Paul on this one. Learning the little technique of shooting in manual at f4 and 1/60th of a second with some bounced flash really opened up photographic possibilities for me. I haven't mastered strobe use, but I'm not against it or as resistant to it as I used to be. Cheers, Christine