On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 12:40:10AM +0800, David Savage wrote:
> On 13 March 2010 00:32, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
> > I know that what we call cookies, you call biscuits.
> >
> > What ?do you call what we call biscuits?
> >
> > American biscuits?
>
> They aren't exactly the same but the closest thing would be a scone.

Note, too, that how you pronounce the word is significant.

The educated and cultured of us pronounce it to rhyme with "gone".
The peasantry mis-pronounce it to rhyme with "shown".

(It's actually a regional thing. The scots use the short "o".  As
you move down the isles the long "o" becomes more predominant. By
the time you get to Nottingham, where my wife was raised, almost
everybody used the long "o". But as you move even further south
the short form reappears.)