On 3/12/10, John Francis <jo...@panix.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 12:40:10AM +0800, David Savage wrote:
>  > On 13 March 2010 00:32, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
>  > > I know that what we call cookies, you call biscuits.
>  > >
>  > > What ?do you call what we call biscuits?
>  > >
>  > > American biscuits?
>  >
>  > They aren't exactly the same but the closest thing would be a scone.
>

> Note, too, that how you pronounce the word is significant.
>
>  The educated and cultured of us pronounce it to rhyme with "gone".
>  The peasantry mis-pronounce it to rhyme with "shown".

Once upon a time I was a carpenter.  The company I worked for had a
"field supervisor" named Richard.  It was his job to make sure the
foremen were doing their jobs.  We all called him Dick.  One day Dick
shows up on the site with some sort of
mocha-decaf-double-whipped-espresso girlie drink and a pastry.
Someone called out "Hey, Dick!  Where'd you get the donut?"  Dick
replied, "It's not a donut.  It's a scone."  From then on, any time
someone mentioned that Dick may be dropping by the site, the immediate
response was always "Is he bringing scones?"

--
Scott Loveless
http://www.twosixteen.com/fivetoedsloth/