Well at the risk of appearing not to answer the question at all, here goes:

The choice of darkroom process really depends on your setup, and
preferences. I use Ilford Delta 400, underexposed by about 1/3 stop, and
developed normally in Agfa Rodinal Special Developer, printed on Ilford  RC
Multigrade paper at grade 3. Why? because I like the result.

After a while messing about with various combinations, this is the one I
like the best. Depending on what you want, you probably will need to
experiment a bit as well. I personally prefer the new T-grain films from
Ilfod (Ilford Delta) because I like the smaller grain. I don't like Kodak
T-Max (many people wont use anything else).

However, others will argue that the older type films such as AgfaPan, Kodak
Tri-X, Ilfod HP5 plus, and Ilford FP4, give better contrast range, an
tonality. So really, its probably a case of getting out and about over a
few months, and trying a few combinations.

So essentially, you need to take a lot of notes, and be able to pinpoint
how you developed a roll of film, what the prints were printed on etc, and
when you have a fair selection of prints, and negs, you'll certainly know
what you do and don't like (also, this changes every few years in my own
experience).

A good place to start though is with something like Ilford Ilfosol-S, which
is a fairly good allround developer, and something like Ilfod HP5, or FP4
(I don't have much experience with T-Max, although Tri-X should be ok in
Ilfosol).

Hope this helps (although I realize it probably didn't)

T.