Well, that was completely botched up ... try again. The send button is too close to the Edit-Undo button ...

From: "William Robb"
From: "John Sessoms"
> And that's been my point all along. The photographer is more important > than the equipment. Equipment is important, but not as important as the > photographer. Equipment is only as good as the photographer who uses it.
>
> A poor photographer is still a poor photographer no matter how much he > spends on gear. Expensive equipment merely gives the poor photographer the > means to create high resolution lousy images.

Or, to be more accurate, better technical quality images that are wanting in terms of composition.

Really John, do you think that an Adams could have churned out his esthetically stunning landscapes from the American southwest with a pocket 110 camera?

No, what I think is that you are being deliberately obtuse; missing the point on purpose.

Given the limits of a pocket 110 camera, I think Ansel Adams would capture better images than you or Ken Rockwell.

OTOH, given access to Ansel Adams equipment and darkroom, I see no evidence you or Ken Rockwell could produce the same quality of esthetically stunning landscapes Adams produced.

Please don't say yes, I will have to mock you if you do.

Might as well. You already make a mockery of yourself.

I don't think it would have mattered how good a darkroom technician he was, there would still have been a little something missing. This is an extreme example, but sometimes one needs to use absurd examples to make succint points.

You (and a few others it seems) are pretending that it is an either/ or issue; that a photographer is either an expert or a hack. There are a lot of photographers who are good enough to benefit from better equipement that fit into neither of the categories that you presuppose, and whose pictures do improve with better equipment, be it something with more resolution, or better noise control, or faster and more responsive performance. Look at Dave Savage's night photography and how much better it got when he went to the D700 as an example.

And you are pretending that the photographer's skill has nothing to do with it.

You are not only WRONG, but you are deliberately mis-characterizing what I have written.