On 4/1/2010 1:26 PM, William Robb wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "P. J. Alling"
Subject: Re: A Crazy Idea

No Ansel wouldn't have been able to produce the work he's known for using a 110 camera. On the other hand, I'll bet he'd have wrung the most anyone could have out of the format. The lenses he used weren't even the sharpest available, Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico, 1941 was shot with a Cooke triple Convertible. .Now I'm no expert on large format lenses, and a lot of people, (mostly those trying to unload one on sale it seems), have said nice things about them, but such a design must have some comprises in quality. Especially considerng it's a 1890's design. Yet Adams made the most of it. A really good photographer will do that, play to the streangths of their equipment, and avoid it's weaknesses.

Many of the prime lenses we use today are based on designs from the late 1800s, early 1900s.
The Tessar designs and their offshoots come to mind.
Lens design really didn't take off until somewhat after WWII.
Up until then, the Cooke triplets were considered to be very good lenses.
But you are deflecting away from the point.
Which is what I expected.

William Robb

Not really. Your point is taken. You however are taking your point to the extreem.

I hate to say this but you seem to be taking this personally which it certainly isn't.

--
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Courier
New;}}

\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 I've just upgraded to Thunderbird 3.0 and the
interface subtly weird.\par
}