On 2010-04-05 12:05 , Jack Davis wrote:
My point is about the difficulty in defining the general visual impact
tolerated. That's a job for each viewer.

well, you could say that areas too bright for the camera to handle will be displayed as pure white, with no detail; adjacent areas not quite too bright for the camera may stand out strangely as a result, some times as out-of-context islands of very light color in a sea of white; photographers may adjust the tone of blown out areas so they are not pure white, but they'll still lack detail

using blown out detail creatively is of course very subjective, but if realism is desired, the blown out areas should typically fit the image, such as highlight reflections in eyeballs, or other shiny surfaces; even very bright scenes such as snow and ice scenes don't look realistic when heavily blown out because our eyes have very wide dynamic range and we tend to expect detail even in the brightest large areas of an image