Thanks, I'll try that with a UV filter. I knew that some lens designs
need a filter at the end of their optical path. This one doesn't have
a filter thread at the end. The softness is only visible when the lens
is fully extended at 2.5 meter focussing range. It has optical parts
in the front and rear. The rear parts don't move during focussing.
Most likely the contraption is optimized at infinity.