On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 06:52:16PM +0200, Toine scripsit:
> Yes it does have a filter like element on the mount side. I can't
> remove it manually. Tried a UV filter today and my impression is
> sharpness has improved, almost razor sharp. Focusing is very
> difficult. It pops in and out of focus maybe I need a Katz screen.

Katz screens are helpful, but focusing being difficult is an inherent
property of catadioptric designs; the plane of focus is very flat and
has no depth to speak of (most but not all of a blackbird (treating
North American robins and the Eurasian blackbird as equivalent units of
measurement) at 20m, plane-of-focus depth.).

This is great for many applications, especially off support, but it's
something of a trick for hand-held shooting.  I can manage one in five
shots having the plane of focus more or less where I want it handheld on
a very good day with something to lean against.  Some days it is more
like one in 15.

-- Graydon