>> Paul, what is your source of this information (on the maker of
>> the second-generation version)?  Robert Monaghan's third-party
>> lens site claims that Tokina is the manufacturer of the "middle"
>> zoom (referencing Keppler in Modern Photography as the source of
>> this information).

> My source is Gary Schloss, a Nevada enthusiast/collector who is a
> regular contributor to the Olympus discussion list. He knows more
> about third-party lenses than anyone I know. Perhaps he was wrong
> about this one, or perhaps I misunderstood him.

Hmmm...  I know and respect Gary, having dealt with him in the
exchange of premium refractive glass previously, and I do know that
he is primarily an OM kind of guy.  On the other hand, Robert
Monaghan certainly seems to know a lot about 3rd-party lenses, too.
So, I guess I don't know what the story is.  (I suspect that
Vivitar, if contacted, wouldn't likely be willing or even able to
straighten out this confusion, either - <g>.)

Fred