On Apr 23, 2010, at 5:00 PM, John Francis wrote:

> The only time I'll park in a handicapped spot when my wife isn't in the
> car is when I'm picking her up; she'll be in the car when I drive away.
> Most of the rest of the time I don't even have her placard; it will be
> in her car.

Down here a guy was punished not long ago (card revoked, I think) after picking
up his wheelchair-bound wife from a mall.  He parked in a handicapped space
with the appropriate card displayed in the car, but someone saw him get out and
walk into the mall and complained to the relevant authority.

Apparently the rule is that he had to find a regular parking space, go and get
his wife, wheel her over to the handicapped space then bring the car over.

It does sound a little heavy-handed but I think it needs to be as it's too easy
to abuse otherwise.  I'd recommend that you double-check the fine print just in
case.

Cheers,
Dave