From: Larry Colen
On 4/23/2010 6:39 AM, Rick Womer wrote:
I'm way behind on my list reading (there's this earning-a-living
thing, you know...), but anyway:

I like this much more than the first one.  The wide-angle works
well, the people add scale, and the sky is dramatic.  I wonder
about the white balance though, as things seem to have a muted,
almost amber cast.  One might play with the curves a bit to
increase the contrast, too.

Very nice.  I missed the start of this thread, but I really like this
shot.

Did you bring out the sky with subtle HDR?

I couldn't get HDR to work, made the people look like ghosts. So I fell back on the old sandwich technique.

They were shot on the tripod, so I exposed one for the sky and one for the foreground. Then just copied the sky image as a layer onto the foreground image.

Since they're the same size, same aperture, same focal length ... and pretty much aligned already, hold down the shift key while you drag it across and let it go & they automagically line up. Then just mask the appropriate areas to merge the sky and the foreground.

There's some other fiddly stuff to make the merge appear as seamless as possible, but that's the basic idea.