On 28/4/10, Rob Studdert, discombobulated, unleashed:

>Oh it's fine over a short distance and absolutely no problem with
>these pre-amplified hot shoe mounted mics. Balancing only reduces
>cable induced noise, a bad balanced mic pre-amp can sound worse than a
>good unbalanced system.

Well, you kn ow as well as I do that the worst place for a mic is on
board - and especially the cheap shit rubbish they supply with most
cameras. Even my HM100 came with the most awful crap mic. I replaced it
with an ATR-75, but for anything worthwhile the 416 is ready to go :)

The problem with most people shooting (DSLR or otherwise) is that audio
is a mystical add-on that one hopes will turn out alright 'in the end'.
Then the last part of post production happens, the final sound mix, and
the recriminations start!

--

Cheers,
  Cotty