On 2010-04-30 12:09 , Bruce Dayton wrote:
Of course, then they market it like it was an open system.

in one very important respect it is an open platform -- you can run any web app you want; the iPhone/iPad browser is a very good HTML5 platform, and can store data locally; now that the iPad is big enough, i think we'll see a lot more great solutions in that space, and Apple has no control over them

but if you want to build an app that has access to OS internals (and your private information), Apple controls that space, and as a result it will probably avoid most of the coming epidemic of mobile platform insecurity vectors

and even with that control hundreds of thousands of apps have been created; i wonder if the number would be so high without Apple's control, or if there would be a million apps and a horrible experience sorting through them and keeping them from messing with my data