I was filming a report on UK soldiers returning home to barracks from
Afghanistan the other day. We had to shoot and edit and then send from a
network news satellite truck. The reporter asked me if I had my [Mac]
edit kit along, and I always do. She asked if I wouldn't mind editing
the piece as well because her Avid [Newscutter on a PC Laptop] was
always crashing.

I shot the piece and edited it and we sent with a few minutes to spare.

The above seems like a cut and dried Macfanboy 'howzat' but actually if
one digs a bit beneath the surface, things aren't so ipso facto.

The reporter barely knows how to use the laptop which is serviced and
updated by the IT guys once in a blue moon. I am a contractor who knows
his kit and operations inside out. Of course mine doesn't crash and hers does.

If she had the Mac and I had the Windows, she would have asked the same
thing, and I would have shot and edited and the result would have been
the same.

It's less to do with how good the computers are and more to do with how
competent the user is at maintaining a healthy system and knowing how to
achieve the required result.

(That said, if it's shiny and has an Apple on it, I'll still buy it.)

--

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__