On 4 May 2010 19:41, Rob Studdert <distudio.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that we have the right to comment, often the users have a
> better idea of what companies should be doing compared to what they
> are doing.

Of course we all have the freedom to comment, but many people don't
seem to understand how a camera company works and are 1 f-stop away
from asking for an 18-200mm f/2 zoom under 0.5kg that fits in a
pocket. I'm all for discussing the future, but would rather we kept it
realistic, so I'll stay away from pipe-dream threads.

>  For instance the very obvious fact that here and on other
> forums Pentax shooters are either supplementing or entirely dumping
> their Pentax kits for 36x24mm sensor bodies whilst Pentax is gearing
> to provide a very niche 645D body and some lenses is difficult to
> envision as a well conceived decision on so many levels.

>From the get-go I was against a 645D. Pentax has much more pressing
needs (or at least its user base does), with lenses coming way ahead
of full-frame. But Pentax does its strange things, like it always has.
But here's something I want to throw out there, and I'm not aiming
this at your specifically, Rob, even if I am replying to your message:

What if Pentax knows what it's doing by holding back on FF? What if
there is no point to digital FF, Pentax knows it, and is just waiting
for consumers to figure it out? What if not releasing a FF camera
right now is what the user needs, even if it's not what (s)he wants?

Let's imagine Pentax's K-7 successor (and let's call it the K-8) has a
15MP Sony sensor with the high ISO capabilities of the K-x, and the
camera retains all the good stuff the K-7 already has. Furthermore, it
has a VF with 1.4x magnification and 98% coverage. Would people prefer
this camera for $1,300, or a camera with the same specs (minus the VF
numbers) with a FF 24MP sensor for $2,000?

Here are some VF sizes for comparison:

K10/20D: 329.4 mm^2
K-7: 335.8 mm^2
K-8:  500.8 mm^2