On 06/05/2010, Miserere <miser...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What if Pentax knows what it's doing by holding back on FF? What if
> there is no point to digital FF, Pentax knows it, and is just waiting
> for consumers to figure it out? What if not releasing a FF camera
> right now is what the user needs, even if it's not what (s)he wants?
>
> Let's imagine Pentax's K-7 successor (and let's call it the K-8) has a
> 15MP Sony sensor with the high ISO capabilities of the K-x, and the
> camera retains all the good stuff the K-7 already has. Furthermore, it
> has a VF with 1.4x magnification and 98% coverage. Would people prefer
> this camera for $1,300, or a camera with the same specs (minus the VF
> numbers) with a FF 24MP sensor for $2,000?
>
> Here are some VF sizes for comparison:
>
> K10/20D: 329.4 mm^2
> K-7: 335.8 mm^2
> K-8:  500.8 mm^2
> D700: 588.5 mm^2
> 5D mkII: 601.2 mm^2

I expect the technologies that are developed which improve APS sized
sensor also to be applied to FF sensors so that part of the argument
is moot to me. A FF sensor will always provide a larger area for light
gathering and with finders as you know increasing the apparent size of
the finder view reduces the real brightness, you just can't have it
both ways.

FF will remain viable and will likely become far more prevalent format
in the coming years and if Pentax keep playing this game then they
will simply miss out on a burgeoning market. In fact I suspect that
ultimately they will loose more valuable photographers (many that they
nurtured) than they attract with their budget offerings.

--
Rob Studdert (Digital  Image Studio)
Tel: +61-418-166-870 UTC +10 Hours