On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 8:39 PM, Tim Bray <tb...@textuality.com> wrote:
> Now Godfrey, you have an attitude problem.  Using an automated utility
> is like using a point-and-shoot with zoom, which as we know is a
> crutch to be eschewed by the Real Photographer.  Using the unadorned
> unix command line is like being in manual-focus prime-lens
> light-metered easy-to-oversaturate-film
> mix-your-own-fixer-in-the-darkroom mode.  Remember, we must Suffer For
> Our Art.

Tim,

I have no atttitude problem at all, I wonder what motivates you to say
so. If you are a luddite with a desire to use manual everything, why
are you using Lightroom and a digital camera instead of a film camera
and darkroom? Talk about automation! Go suffer for your art, we'll
cheer you on... ;-)

Many people are uncomfortable using UNIX command line utilities. There
are plenty of solutions that do the same thing as rsync in a more user
friendly manner. If I had no other options, I'd use it, but the other
options are better.

Personally, I'll suffer using automation any time it helps me do my
photography better. I automate everything I can to make it easier and
more consistent to do my work, and endure the pain happily.
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com