Cory, I am sure that Tim's and Godfrey's approaches would do an
admirable job at keeping two catalogs in synch, but to acheive the
first part of your request to have lightroom remember develop
settings, and keywords etc, shoot or convert into DNG files -
lightroom then writes the metadata into the file itself so when you
import it brings these settings with the images.  Alternately, if you
shoot in jpg or pef, you can write sidecar files and they get imported
along with the image - just make sure you "save metadata to files"
prior to import, or have lightroom do it automatically by setting this
in your preferences.

The trick with this approach is for keywords to use a consistent set
and hierarchy.  You can either remember these, or better still export
the keywords from the master and import into the clone so they are
there ready for use when you come to keyword a new shoot. You apply
the keywords in your macbook and when they come into your desktop they
will match your existing ones or add any new ones.

As for the collections - I don't think these are stored in the
metadata so you may need to do manual assignment to collections when
you get the images into the desktop

Alastair