----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom C"
Subject: Re: Augenblick: Some shots and a controversial opinion

After having gone through this exercise, knowing the work I put into
my individual entries, the work that those who compiled the book put
into it, and the work the gallery curator and Christine put into it,
I've come away with an altered, possibly more accurate perception of
the entire affair.

Knowing the above, I now find myself somewhat less hesitant to
criticize selections that are made. I can't reasonably expect every
image I like to be included, and those I feel ambivalent about to be
excluded. It wasn't my role to select anything other than my own.
Such criticism would, in my mind, seem to devalue the hard work that
went into the production.

I'm not saying anyone's doing that, just that I respect the
individuals and the hard choices they must have had to make.

For myself, it was a terrific opportunity to get my work out there, even in a relatively small way. Of the three images I submitted, I really do think the one chosen was the weakest of the lot, but when I mentioned this to Sue, she very strongly disagreed with me. I wouldn't have included it at all were it not for a positive comment Doug made about it when I posted it as part of a GESO last year. I churn these images out pretty easily, and I tend to be somewhat emotionally uninvolved with my own work, so it is always somewhat of a surprise for me when one of my pictures touches someone. I've done enough gallery shows over the years to not question the choices of a curator. They know what they are looking for, and usually they have a better eye for what will succeed on the wall than I do.

William Robb