To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2010 11:17 PM
Subject: Augenblick: Some shots and a controversial opinion

The very small gallery is here: http://www.tbray.org/pdml/PDML-Augenblick/

The shots are mostly a little blurry (I had the K20 accidentally
locked at ISO 200, so the Sigma 1.4 was running wide) and nothing much
in themselves; notable are the paired white K-X's in the first, and
Larry's dramatic silhouette menacing AnnSan as he photographs her in
the last.  BTW, Larry showed me how you can use a plastic
film-canister lid to replace the irritating little screw-in cap on the
DA 40mm limited.

Of the pictures on display, I liked Christine's wonderful Brown-line
composition the best.

OK, here's the controversial opinion.  Well, perhaps not, because it's
a matter of personal taste.  But, anyhow... I quite strongly disagreed
with the selection from the book for the show.  Yes, they were very
good - a tribute to some combination of the PDML talent pool and
Mark's outstanding curatorship and printsmanship.  But as I picked up
my book for the first time and leafed through it after having orbited
the gallery a couple of times, time after time I found myself shaking
my head thinking "Why the #%$~! is this wonderful piece not on these
walls?"

Here are a few that I particularly regret not having seen lovingly
rendered on those walls:

"Help" - AnnSan - intensity and grace
"Surf Club" - P.J. Alling - the exposition of space is pure poetry
"Holy Water" - Pasvorn Boonmark - a totally astounding picture; I keep
going back to look again
"Rowboats, Padstow" - Cotty - an uncluttered hymn to curvature
"Tree in Field" - Steven Sharpe - it's a haiku
"Piano Player" - Dario Bonazza - almost too intense to look at,
illustration by subtraction
"Ratlines and Rigging" - Paul Sorenson - infinite detail at perfect rest
"Deputy" - John Andrew Celio - what a face

The lady who did the selection used criteria that were not, in my
opinion, essentially photographic.

But hey, as I said, it's just an opinion; worth what you paid for t. -Tim