Miserere and I had a brief discussion about Eggleston's work while we were
wandering through. It got me to thinking rather than just feeling. Thanks
Miserere!
First, I don't study art, I don't read art critics' stuff, and I may have once
heard the name Eggleston but had no clue who he was and what his purported
place is/was in the pantheon of photographic greats. From the viewpoint of that
naive viewer, I think I liked his work. First, except for the B&W portraits, it
all seemed to be of one style. This is a guy comfortable with his vision of the
world. Second, it was all of one "place." St. Ansel's place was not just
Yosemite but all outdoors. Egglestons place was the American mid-south. I think
both represented their own place well, in very different ways obviously! I
wonder if  someone who is an urban dweller with no prior experience with the
Southwest or Yosemite, etc. could see the art in Adams' work? I think that one
who has no prior experience  with the American South would likewise have
difficulty feeling the Eggleston work. But even so, there is much to be admired
in both. Their compositions, their ability to capture the essence of place and
time. Eggleston happened to use color rather than B&W and was obviously as
comfortable with the use of color as Adams was with the use of sharp B&W.

Do I "like" Eggleston's work? I am not sure about that but I think so. And I
did buy the exhibit book and I expect I will spend quite a few hours looking at
the images. Do I admire his work? Sorta. Am I inspired to try to shot like him?
No, I would rather find my own way. But for me, the important metric is Will I
remember his images? And there the answer is Yes. There are a few that stick in
my mind, and they join a few handfuls of other images I have seen in galleries,
museums, and PDML books.

Thanks to Doug (?) who first suggested that exhibit as a Saturday morning
outing for the group.

stan