From: Christian Skofteland
It's "Bike to work Week" in the US (Bike to work day was today). The
Washington Post had an article about the conflicts between cars and
bikes that was slanted against bikes.  The writer kept going back to
the "bikers blowing through red lights and stop signs" argument but
only briefly touched on the drivers that go out of their way to
intimidated and assault bicyclists.

I have seen plenty of the "bikers blowing through red lights and stop signs". It's a self correcting problem as far as I'm concerned.

I've never witnessed motorists "go out of their way" to intimidate cyclists. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I have never seen it.

I have been hit (brushed) by motorists twice when I was on a bicycle. Both times I was knocked down, but otherwise uninjured. In neither case, one a city bus, did the driver stop and inquire if I was OK. I don't even know if they were aware they had knocked me down.

I have twice had cyclists crash into me in my automobile. Once from the rear, once from the passenger side. In both cases I checked that they were OK. In neither case did the cyclist inquire as to possible damage done to my vehicle ... the side hit DID require body work to repair.

I try to be vigilant whenever cyclists are on the road. Given the disparity in road weights & momentum, I don't ever want to hit one. But, it's not going to be my fault if it happens. It will be in spite of my having done everything I could to "share the road".