On 5/21/2010 10:47 AM, William Robb wrote:

I don't know what the bike laws are in your part of the world, but here
a bicycle is considered to be a motor vehicle, and as such is required
to be operated in accordance with local laws.

Same here.

We have such a huge problem here with cyclists operating with a holier
than thou I'm entitled attitude that there is a growing sentiment
growing among drivers that cyclists really don't have a right to be
there since they abuse the privledge so frequently.

Same here. Not to mention the "Critical Massholes" that do far more to piss people off than they do to promote cycling.

The problem is that often times the safest thing to do on a bicycle is not to come to a complete stop, but to slow down enough to check for traffic, and come to a stop if necessary.

When you're at a stop on a bike, you're dead in the water and have no way to get out of the way of anything. I hear that Idaho recognizes this and allows bicyclists to come to a safe "rolling stop".

Consequently, we also have a lot of car/ bicycle accidents where the car
driver simply refuses to give up his right of way to an errant cyclist
and takes him out instead.

William Robb