On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 10:52 PM, Doug Franklin
<jehosep...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> personally I think bike gloves are more helpful.
>
> I'm no expert, but my feeling is that, if you're moving, your attention,
> eyes and ears are the best protection you have.  You can't rely on "the
> other guy" to see you.  If you're doing things that rely on "the other guy"
> seeing you and reacting "appropriately", you're gonna end up a hood
> ornament.

Yes, of course you're right.

So one should always be vigilant.

How does a helmet hinder such vigilance?

It's nice to have the helmet as a final layer of protection if more
"pro-active" prevention isn't enough.  Not that helmets are a
guarantee of anything, however they do lessen one's chances of more
serious head injury.

cheers,
frank