On May 22, 2010, at 3:08 PM, frank theriault wrote:

> I had road-rash on my face and my collarbone was broken in two places.
> My helmet had quite a dent in it.  I suffered no head injuries
> whatsoever.
>
> I don't care what the percentages and chances are - I'm convinced that
> helmet saved my life that day.

I'm also a member of the clavicle club.  I broke mine by hitting the road
sideways with my shoulder.  As you might expect, that also meant my head hit
the road sideways, quite hard.

I was wearing a helmet at the time.  I don't believe it saved my life - not
that I'm qualified to judge - but I am convinced that it saved me a concussion
which would have meant an ambulance and a night in hospital.  Instead I was
able to walk most of the way home then get a ride to the emergency room.  I
fear hospitals so the less time I spend inside one, the better.

Given the amount that I ride I would never leave the helmet at home.  I'm also
swayed a bit by knowing a couple of people who do owe their lives to them.

Dave