[...]
> So one should always be vigilant.
>
> How does a helmet hinder such vigilance?
>
> It's nice to have the helmet as a final layer of protection
> if more "pro-active" prevention isn't enough.  Not that
> helmets are a guarantee of anything, however they do lessen
> one's chances of more serious head injury.

That has not been shown to be the case. In fact, wearing a helmet increases
your chances of certain types of injury, if you're unlucky enough to crash.

For everyone who thinks their life was saved or injuries lessened by a
helmet there is probably someone who could have been killed or seriously
injured by wearing one - but we don't have the stats to make any kind of
judgement based on this. When I fell off and broke my wrist a few years ago
I bumped my unhelmeted head on the pavement. It was no big deal, but by
increasing the volume of my head area a helmet could have led to some sort
of hideous rotational injury. There's no point in speculating on these
hypothetical lines or comparing the seriousness of what might have been.
<http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1019.html>

To me the matter should remain one of choice for adults, even if it could be
proved incontrovertibly that helmets offered substantial benefits to the
cyclist. There are really 3 camps in this argument. A 'pro-choice' (for want
of a better phrase) lobby consisting of some pro- and all 'anti-' helmet
people, and a 'pro-life' (as they might call themselves) lobby which wants
helmet use to be mandatory. I notice that the set of people who want to make
helmet wearing illegal is empty. From this I conclude that if one wants to
make helmet wearing compulsory one is either a helmet manufacturer or a Nazi
or both.

Thread over.

Bob