> I've been on the receiving end several times in one ride, in
> fact.  I live in a fairly rural area and a lot of the people,
> especially 20-something males, find it sporting to brush as
> close to a cyclist as possible, yell obsenities, throw
> objects (cans, bottles, etc) from their vehicles, brake-check
> following cyclists, deliberately swerving into or in front of
> bikes...  the list goes on.  Every one of those things has
> happened to me.  I ride sanely, keep to the right as much as
> possible, mind my own business and go out of my way to help
> cars pass me on blind hills or corners.  As much as I've
> experienced the one thing I try to remember is to keep the
> middle finger firmly on the handlebar...

I had a near miss this morning. I needed to turn right across oncoming
traffic to get to my street. I positioned myself correctly and waited for a
gap in the traffic. While I was waiting, an oncoming car needed to do a left
turn just after me. There was a van behind him driven by a young man who
rather than slow down pulled out at speed to go round him and came straight
at me. I could see the young man looking at and cursing the left-turning car
in front of him, so I know he had not seen me. I had to make a sharp jump to
my left to get out of his way. I knew there was no traffic coming behind me,
so I was safe, but if there had been I would have been lucky to escape.

Bob