On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 01:38:51PM -0400, John Sessoms wrote:
> From: Christian Skofteland
> >It's "Bike to work Week" in the US (Bike to work day was today). The
> >Washington Post had an article about the conflicts between cars and
> >bikes that was slanted against bikes.  The writer kept going back to
> >the "bikers blowing through red lights and stop signs" argument but
> >only briefly touched on the drivers that go out of their way to
> >intimidated and assault bicyclists.
> >

> I have seen plenty of the "bikers blowing through red lights and
> stop signs". It's a self correcting problem as far as I'm concerned.
>
> I've never witnessed motorists "go out of their way" to intimidate
> cyclists. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I have never seen it.

I've been on the receiving end several times in one ride, in fact.  I live in a
fairly rural area and a lot of the people, especially 20-something males, find
it sporting to brush as close to a cyclist as possible, yell obsenities, throw
objects (cans, bottles, etc) from their vehicles, brake-check following
cyclists, deliberately swerving into or in front of bikes...  the list goes on.
 Every one of those things has happened to me.  I ride sanely, keep to the
right as much as possible, mind my own business and go out of my way to help
cars pass me on blind hills or corners.  As much as I've experienced the one
thing I try to remember is to keep the middle finger firmly on the handlebar...

--

Christian