Not always forgetfulness - sometimes just plain ignorance.

Happened here in NC a several years ago. Single mom didn't have money to pay for child care & just took the kid to work with her. Left the child in the car seat planning to check on it during her breaks.

She didn't know any better what happens in the interior of a car when the sun shines on it.

From: Marnie
Good article, but have a hard time believing  parents forget babies in cars.

I do believe that someone could put a baby in a car seat ONTOP of a car, and start backing up forgetting they were there. But that's different.

Marnie

In a message dated 5/29/2010 5:04:42 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, pnstenqu...@comcast.net writes: Most of my writing is, well, frivolous. Not this time. Kids are dying in cars at an unprecedented rate. As unbelievable as it sounds, those deaths are often caused by a simple memory lapse. The Times asked me to look into it. The article appears in tomorrow's paper, and it's up on the web now. Our own Ken Waller served as a very valuable resource, and he's quoted in the article. You'll find it here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/automobiles/30HEAT.html?pagewanted=1&ref=a
utomobiles

Paul