eckinator wrote:

2010/5/29 Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com>:

It's a good article, but let's take a look at it.  Let's assume that we could
develop a system that would prevent every one of these deaths, and that it
could be implemented for $10 per car.  Now let's say that there are 30 million
cars sold in the US each year (one car per decade per person), that means it
would cost $300,000,000 to prevent these deaths.  The article says that there
are 30 of these deaths per year, so that's $100,000 per life saved.

On the surface, that seems like it might be a reasonable cost benefit ratio.
I'm certain that the parents of the kids would certainly think so.

On the other hand, how many more lives could be saved by applying that third of
a billion dollars to a problem that kills far more people every year?

The math of it may be fine but I remember how the mere thought of
losing Mattis had me crying when he was in intensive care for the
first few days after birth without even such a thing as a risk of
death of any kind. No logic in the world can lessen the pain and grief
of a parent. I could tell you some stories.

IMHO the solution should be a low tech item that can be sold
separately. One or more identically coded RFID dog tags / garment tags
for the kid and a keychain device for the parents that will go off
whenever none of the RFID items is in reach. Market it as a loss-stop
device for everything and anything. If someone sues you over the death
of a baby, tell them it was designed to protect your belongings and
not your own flesh and blood. Take a side route.

You just need a tether from the child seat to either your wrist, ankle or belt loop. Of course, if you are likely to forget your child....

BTW the article is great and also the link to the Pulitzer winner
one... oh and yes they both had my crying and checking if my son still
breathed...