On 5/30/2010 12:34 PM, Bob W wrote:
all Larry has suggested is doing what every person and organisation does
when they are looking at spending money - asking the question 'is this
the best way of spending the money'.

When people first get involved in developing a business case at work
they think every project that has a good business case should be done.
But they're not taking into account that the budget is limited so you
have to spend the money on the project with the best business case.

In other words, if you're going to spend that money you should spend it
on the project with the biggest return. Especially if you're using
taxpayers' money.

Bob

Bob, with all due respect to you and Larry I understood him rather differently. He indicated, to the best of my understanding, that there are entirely different projects that are more worthy of spending the money on. Therefore, as far I understood his logic, this very project did not deserve real attention. My opinion is pretty much opposite of his.

As for taxpayers' money, it brings up an interesting concern. You see, my experience living in Israel (in USSR it was absolutely different and rather inapplicable here) teaches me that very often things on the scale of the whole state are done in reactive manner. It is either some loud publicity or some equally loud law suit that often triggers some ultimately wise action on the part of the authorities. It would be very sad if great many people (children or not) would have suffered before the effective solution of the problem were to be found and put in place.

And yes, I am fully aware of the inertia and braking power of bureaucracy and large scale organizations that must be taken into account here.

Boris