On Jun 3, 2010, at 03:08 , AlunFoto wrote:

2010/6/3 Cotty <cotty...@mac.com>:
That fact that Apple (seems to) attracts users least likely to be
bothered with learning 'how' is far from a gripe - it is actually a big
selling point, and indeed was such when the Mac was first launched.

My comment was not about the quality of the _system_ but an
observation about a sample of its users. This is only a problem for
the system insofar as it does not live up to the user's expectations.
It is generally true that the less knowledge one has, the more
unrealistic one's expectations will be. Partly because expectations
are tempered by marketing lingo. So Apple's toting of their system as
"simple" has set unrealistic expectations with the least competent
users.

No one has used the term "simple" at Apple or in their marketing. Maybe "simplify", certainly easy to learn the tasks advertised and a part of the installed apps on a Mac.

It is my opinion, however, that anyone who thinks they can go out and buy their first computer, plug it in and start using it without reading the manual(s), attending a class, joining a support group, and more, is woefully assuming they are superhuman, Windows or Mac. 15 years ago I was still attending User Group meetings. Today I still go to the Apple Store for introductory sessions on any new hardware or software/ It's free, usually presented in a frustrating lowest common denominator manor, but I have always picked up some nugget I've overlooked in reading or hypothesizing about how it "should" work.

Suppose your first camera was ever was a K20D. You'd be screwed up for years trying to figure out how and why it worked on your own, without at least reading the entire manual twelve times over. An intelligent person would seek help right off the bat, reading, conversing, attending, practicing.

Of course it's a good selling point for Apple, and they're hyping it
for all it's worth. In my opinion for more than it's really worth. At
the end of the day there's no substitute for knowing what you're doing
with a computer, regardless of brand.

And not by osmosis, my friend, not by osmosis.

Joseph McAllister
pentax...@mac.com

“ Nature is considerably more creative and inventive than humankind. Without Nature there isn't any humankind. Without humankind, Nature is fine.”