On 16/06/2010, John Francis <jo...@panix.com> wrote:

> The dust spot isn't "right on top of the sensor" - it's right on top of
> the fromt surface of the protective piece of glass (and anti-aliasing
> filter).  If the piece of dust is smaller than 1/2.8 times the thickness
> of that piece of glass there's plenty of light coming around it at f/2.8

Exactly and as I mentioned much earlier in the thread it could be
between this sandwich of filters which mean that it would have to be
tackled by the service centre. Good luck with the repair Bob, it would
be interesting to see how the repair is documented assuming that they
do fix it (fingers crossed).

--
Rob Studdert (Digital  Image Studio)
Tel: +61-418-166-870 UTC +10 Hours