I was in the same situation (to cancel or not to cancel) not too long
ago.  I ended up cancelling.  Because my concious tends to be pathetically
guilty about such things, I had the same dilemma.  I went as far as to
email each person who had bidded individually (pathetic, huh?)... But
anyway...  here's what I learned:

In short, I would suggest a terse explanation.  Unfortunately, it seems
that (though it seems like the "right thing" to do), the more information
you supply, the more you leave yourself open to criticism and
"opinions" being voiced.  Besides, the top of your page will say something
like "AUCTION HAS ENDED EARLY"... the part where you get to add to the
description will be way at the bottom of the page... and I think you'd be
surprised at how many people dont even bother to scroll down once they see
that the auction is dead.

> And will my name forever be mud?

Definitely not.  I think that memories are incredibly short on eBay. What
matters (over time) is the feedback, and like you pointed out:

>  people (can't) post feedback unless they're the buyer.

Your post (and hence your conscious) already shows that you are not doing
such a thing maliciously, so in that respect I think you can
personally rest assured.

However, I will advise the following:
(I guess this is for future reference, since I just reread your post, and
noticed that you already ended the auction)...

Be CERTAIN that you are not underselling yourself.  Sometimes you will be
surprised how much some people (perhaps in very remote, smaller
markets) will be willing to pay for an item when you may deem it
significantly less in value.  Is 4 days early worth the potential of an
extra xx amount of dollars?

In my case, I was certain that the bids would not go higher than the
price given by the person who wanted me to end the auction. Why? (a) I
checked the history on eBay (completed items) on how much identical items
sold for previously. And (b) the price they gave was a couple of dollars
above the cost of buying it new on a few other websites  (they needed the
item urgently)

Hope this helps.
    .jerome.